From my book The Narrow Gate, Chapter 1.
John 13:15 For I have given you an example (Spiritual Path), that you should do as I have done (offer our own lives as living sacrificial lambs on Passover).
Yahusha made that statement on Passover as he laid down the example of Mikveh, Circumcision, and Offering. We see this same idea enforced again in 1 Peter:
1 Peter 2:21 21 But if you suffer for doing good (give your life as a Living Sacrifice) and you endure it (you will be perfected just like Yahusha was perfected, through suffering, ultimately perfected on Passover), this (life sacrifice) is commendable before Yahuah. 21 To this (giving your own lives as living sacrificial lambs on Passover) you were called (Exodus 12:1-3), because the Messiah suffered (on Passover) for you (and tore the Veil giving you access to the Altar of Yahuah Matthew 27:51), leaving you an example (of what to do as he fulfilled the Spiritual meaning of Passover), that you should follow in his steps (and bring your own offering on Passover to the Altar of Yahuah).
Please note, by living sacrifice I do not mean to imply we all must literally die on Passover. We are to die “to self”, and live a sacrificial life in service to our King, in obedience to Yahuah’s will.
The Passover is far more than just a retelling of the Exodus out of Egypt. It is more than just Yahusha suffering to pay the penalty of our transgression on the torture stake on Passover. The blood of the Passover Lamb (and the foreshadowing of the Messiah’s role) is The Scarlet Thread of Redemption that runs throughout the entire Word of Yahuah. It is His Plan of Salvation!
This Scarlet Thread of Redemption is foretold in The Heavenly Scroll then runs:
- from the prophecy in Genesis that the seed of a woman will crush the enemy
- then a lamb slaughtered to “cover” the sinful parts of the bodies of Adam and Eve after they fell
- through Abraham sacrificing his first-born son Isaac, who was delivered by the sacrifice of a ram
- leading to the Exodus where the blood of the lamb covered the first born, and the angel of death passed over the homes who entered into that covenant
- culminating with Yahusha transposing these prophecies, physical metaphors, and rehearsals to their Spiritual Truths. Showing us The Way unto salvation leading us through The Narrow Gate as the Good Shepherd of all the lambs of Yahuah to…
- being expressed in faith each year by offering our own lives as living sacrifices on Passover, following in the footsteps of The Messiah to…
- finding completion with the return of Yahusha and the GREATER Exodus into the Millennial Kingdom. When Yahusha gathers all the spotless lambs of Yahuah. Those who have followed his example on Passover and offered themselves as spotless lambs on the altar to Yahuah each year in obedience to His Law! Then the fulfillment of Mikveh is realized and the land and people cleansed of their sin!
Passover Fundamental in all Covenants
We see that the Passover is far more than just a “Jewish” ritual given to Moses (who, by the way, was not even Jewish). It is a fundamental principle in the Plan of Salvation i.e. The Scarlet Thread of Redemption in every covenant:
- The Edenic Covenant – lamb that was slaughtered from the foundation of the world, written in the stars
- The Adamic Covenant – lamb slaughter to make clothing to cover sin
- The Noahic Covenant – Genesis 8:20, the first thing Noah did after the flood is… make an Altar and sacrifice a “clean animal” i.e. a Lamb on the Altar.
- The Abrahamic Covenant – lamb slaughtered to provide Salvation from death of the promised son Isaac and his descendants
- Coming out of bondage – Israelites slaughtered a personal lamb and put the blood on the doorpost to save the firstborn, leading them out of bondage through the Passover
- The Mosaic Covenant – each family brought their own sacrificial Passover lamb as a sacrifice on Passover
- The Yahushaic Covenant – each son of Yahuah follows Yahusha’s footsteps in examining their own lives for spot or blemish and offering their lives as living sacrifices on Passover
Yahuah’s Moedim – We all are Passover Lambs!
We are taught that Yahusha is the only Passover Lamb. Is that true? No, we are all living sacrificial lambs offered on Passover!
Yahuah gave us His instruction and laid out a “Moedim”, or rehearsal, for us to learn this vital Spiritual Truth. This rehearsal was to illustrate physically the concept of personal sacrifice. In this rehearsal, defined in The Torah, Yahuah had the children of Israel take one of their most prized lambs and slaughter it, one for each household. We must understand the personal sacrifice this was to them. They relied on their flocks for milk, meat, and for trade. This was a significant personal sacrifice that each family had to make in terms of their personal resources. There was not just one sacrificial lamb… there were many.
Yahuah was teaching our ancestors (who were Spiritually immature children) the value of personal sacrifice that was later to come in The Yahushaic Covenant when that “lamb” we would bring would be our own lives! Below is the definition of the physical rehearsal, notice that each man had to offer his own Passover Lamb:
Exodus 12 - the Passover and the Festival of Unleavened Bread 1 Yahuah said to Moses and Aaron in Egypt, 2 “This month is to be for you the first month, the first month of your year. 3 Tell the whole community of Israel that on the tenth day of this month each man is to take a lamb for his family, one for each household. … 5 The animals you choose must be year-old males without defect, and you may take them from the sheep or the goats. 6 Take care of them until the fourteenth day of the month, when all the members of the community of Israel must slaughter them (there were many Passover Lambs) at twilight.
We have lost sight of this legal requirement today. We are not properly taught The Law and we simply say “Jesus did it all for us” and then go about keeping pagan celebrations. When what really happened, was Yahusha paved the way, tore the Veil, and we all are to bring our own lives (by Law) and lay them down at his Altar every Passover!
Yahuah promised a “new covenant”…where the final fulfillment of Mikveh, Circumcision, and Offering is realized
Ezekiel 36:26 – Mikveh, Circumcision, Offering 25 "Then I will sprinkle clean living water on you (MIKVEH), and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 26 "Moreover, I will give you a new (CIRCUMCIZED) heart (for the Intent of My Law) and put a new (loving) spirit (for the intent of My Law) within you; and I will remove the (ritualistic) heart of stone (obedience to the Letter alone) from your flesh (which is enmity toward My Law) and give you a heart of flesh. 27 "I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances (to bring your own Passover Lamb OFFERING to the Altar Exodus 12:1-3).…